On this page you can learn about the miscellaneous manuscripts in the western post-1500 collection.
MS 156a contains three miscellaneous tracts collected by Charles Wheatly (1686-1742), a liturgical writer and Fellow of St John’s College Oxford. This includes a letter on lay baptism.
MS 219, which was produced in 1670-1671, contains draft minutes of the General Board of Adventurers in Whalefishing in the Sommer Isles [i.e. Bermuda]. This manuscript was discovered in the Otranto Passages in the early 20th century.
MS 226 comprises a series of sixty coloured paintings on vellum depicting the vestments of the various Catholic religious orders and offices, mounted in an album. This manuscript was produced in the early 18th century, probably in France.
MS 235 is a collection of fragments removed from the bindings of College books. While most are fragments of western medieval manuscripts or early printed books, the collection also includes three early sixteenth century manuscript fragments.
MS 244 once contained various essays on classical and modern authors, though only the material on Longinus and Demosthenes now remains. It was written by Applebee (1756- 1825, Fellow of St John’s College).
MS 245 comprises a set of ten essays chiefly on education, language and clerical matters. It was produced in 1789 by John Applebee (1756-1825), Fellow of St John’s College.
MS 246 is an eighteenth century copy of The Country Parson’s Advice by William Holmes (1689- 1748), President of St John’s College & Royal Chaplain. This manuscript includes corrections.
MS 253 is a miscellaneous collection of autographical, linguistic and palaeographic curiosities formed by the antiquary John Pointer (1668-1754). Shown here is an epistle in verse on a pasted slip of red paper, with the writing in gold.
MS 254 is an album forming additions to MS 253, a miscellaneous collection of autographical, linguistic and palaeographic curiosities formed by the antiquary John Pointer (1668-1754).
MS 275 is an index of the names of authors of manuscripts in the Library of the University of Cambridge, in the hand of Dr Richard Rawlinson, topographer and bishop to non-jurors (1690-1755).
MS 295 is a loosely stitched set of bifolia inscribed with part of a later 16th century Latin thesis with caption title “In quantitatis divisionem”.
MS 298 is an early seventeenth century manuscript description and tabular listing of the towns, hundreds and parishes of Berkshire, with a slip of instructions for use written on the reverse of a fragment of the anonymous play Mucedorus.
MS 300 is a manuscript draft of a prospectus issued by a private tutor in the early 19th century. These are possibly connected with Charles Mayo (1792-1846, Fellow of St John’s College and educational reformer).
MS 322 is a scrap-book containing numerous documents put together by Thomas Fry (1718-1772, classical scholar & president of St John’s).
MS 329 comprises two fragmentary leaves, with notes on the Council of Chalcedon, Eusebius (etc). These notesa re written in a late sixteenth century hand.